If your staff management, menu updates, and marketing is inconsistent, these 3 words will get you back on track. They create much-needed discipline in an industry that’s often ‘hit and miss’, and they also show staff and public that your business is professional and reliable.
Calendar + Reminders = Consistency. And consistency is what makes the difference between smart ideas, and the implementation of them that creates results. Consistency is what your competitors rarely achieve – on again, off again marketing, staff who don’t know what’s happening, unhappy suppliers – it weakens them.
What does Consistency look like, from the outside?
- The email newsletter goes out on the first Monday of every month.
- Members of the Birthday Club always get a text message on their big day.
- The Summer Menu starts… on the first day of summer!
- Post a photo on Instagram every. single. day. (so fans are more likely to see you)
- Loyal suppliers are paid on time, just like you promise.
- Food cost figures available for the chefs every Tuesday morning.
- Maintenance is organised for less expensive times (e.g. fridge checks in winter), so fewer breakdowns and less cost.
- New staff have a review scheduled 7 days after they start, without fail. And if they’re unsuitable, the issue is handled quickly.
- Regular staff have an organised ‘how’s it going’ review every 6 months – it becomes a positive part of their job, not something unknown and scary.
A Calendar creates the system – when you put a date on an event, or a deadline for preparation, it’s much more likely to happen, specially when you set up Reminders. Set it up your calendar with an online system like Google Calendar that can sync across your PC, phone, iPad etc – wherever you are the calendar is the same. It’s easy to set up automatic repeats, and notifications for multiple people – if others know, there’s less chance of a miss.
Add Reminders so that the tasks are not forgotten – these could be an email, or a phone notification. Or a project management system (e.g. we use Teamwork.com) that sends reminders and can be accessed by others in your team. Or a person who is tasked to prepare some documents or newsletters so they’re ready on the agreed time and date – they don’t just remind you, they have the essentials ready for you to send.
Now you’re creating Consistency – people see you and the business as organised, reliable and true to your word – qualities we all admire in a business. Our example: the Hospo Reset newsletter goes out every Wednesday morning. It’s empowering to have deadlines – they add discipline and strength to the often chaotic world of hospitality.
What’s first for your new calendar?