It’s not hard to write a good advertisement – most are so poorly written yours will stand out with just a little care! Demand for staff is increasing with the end of Covid lockdowns, There is a lot of pent-up demand, and the same tired old advertisements that don’t get the phone ringing! Here’s how to beat the completion…
What makes the advertisement. for your Cafe or Restaurant Job really stand out?
The secret is to offer real BENEFITS – talk about what applicants want, not just what you want – this is basic Marketing 101, and most operators ignore it. You need to get into the mind of the jobseeker…
Incude these terms in your job advertisement if you can genuinely offer them:
- Happy, friendly team
- Good pay – above award
- Sign-on bonus after 3-6 months
- Annual leave or vacation time
- Weekly pay into your bank account
- Benefits of your rural area eg good schools, good shopping at city prices, ‘only 3 hours from Melbourne’, friendly town, plenty of sporting facilities etc
- Affordable local accommodation – we will help you find it
- Help with moving costs
- Opportunity for a positive ‘lifestyle change’
- Great food, using regional produce – link to Google and Facebook reviews
- Staff meals and discounts
- Development opportunities – ready to sponsor your training courses
- ‘Our culture’… describe it
- Assistance with immigration and obtaining permanent residence
- Location – so people don’t waste your time calling if it’s too far
- Parking facilities
- Close to transport
- Day work, Monday to Friday
- ‘Good pay’ or Award Wages
- Well organised workplace with good systems
- Modern kitchen, well maintained
- Prestige equipment eg Rational Combi Oven, Josper Oven, Synergy Grill
- Uniform provided
- Flexible hours, no split-shifts
- 2 weekends off per month
- Plenty of work, immediate start
Avoid terms like these:
sincere, hard-working, keen, energetic, team player, creative, honest, good personality, bubbly, enthusiastic, bright etc. There’s nothing wrong with these qualities, but they usually sound like a list of demands! If that’s all you say, your ad will look like all the others and sound desperate and unfriendly. And be warned – talk of ‘profit bonus’ is a red flag for many chefs, as is ‘opportunity to do your own thing’ – code for ‘we are completely disorganised’.
Here are two restaurant and cafe job advertisements, rewritten for a better response by including benefits:
BEFORE: Cook for small cafe in Braybrook
3yrs+ experience, must be hard working & speak v good English.
7am – 5pm Sat & Sun. Ph. 345 6789
AFTER: Cook for Braybrook’s best cafe
Modern kitchen, happy & productive team, free parking and good train service. 3yrs+ cafe experience – start now.
Call Peter on Ph. 345 6789. Hours: 7am – 5pm Sat & Sun.
BEFORE: Chef with great attitude needed
30 hrs pw – Essendon. Email CV to busyben@ABC
Only those chosen for interview will be contacted.
AFTER: Exp. Chef or Cook for Cafe ABC in Essendon.
Days only, close to train, great kitchen setup, flexible roster, strong and happy team. Fresh food with great reputation.
Email CV to busyben@ABC or phone 41456 – all applications will be answered.
🤚 Check the weekly discoveries on Hospo Reset – information & inspiration for restaurant, cafe & foodservice operators.